Ok so I admit I have a Frankenstein monster in my basement but now finally that monster is alive. I finally got my StoreEdge A3500FC up and running and configured. For a while I was having issues with the fibre connectivity where my fibre cards could not see the interfaces on the two controllers. I finally got those resolved and was really thrilled when Raid Manager was able to communicate with the controllers.
Here is a photo of Raid Manager communicating with the array. Right now I only have one D1000 powered up and the unit seems fine with the other unit's powered down. My biggest problem now is throughput. Initially it was difficult finding "older" fibre cards that would work with this system. I read a lot about "issues" with this array and wanted to avoid as many headaches as possible so I wanted to stick to "vintage" 1gb cards. I ended up finding an older Sbus card and stuck it in an Ultra 2.
The Ultra 2 is a dual 300mhz with 384mb ram at the moment. Needless to say NFS and CIFS network activities are a bit slower than I expected due to the CPU and memory restrictions with the host machine. I have some additional memory and processor's sitting around and I am planning an upgrade really soon but even then the Ultra 2 will still be a bottleneck due to its older architecture. I may also add some additional hosts to the san and repurpose the Ultra 2 for something less taxing.